When a longing for fall consolation meals strikes, chicken pot pie is the reply.
Chef Anand Sastry of Main Street Tavern in Amagansett, New York, and Highway Restaurant & Bar, East Hampton, New York, agrees. “‘Pot pie Mondays’ were part of our original Highway promotions. We incorporate our rotisserie chickens and the same pastry crust from our famous summer pies,” Sastry tells FOX News. “During the pandemic, the pot pie was our most popular dish as it reheated really well, made great leftovers, and could be easily frozen to serve any day of the week for a family dinner at home.”
Thankfully, he was type sufficient to share his coveted recipe.
‘GIN & JAVA’ COCKTAIL RECIPE FOR A FALL WEEKEND TREAT
Chicken Pot Pie from Executive Chef Anand Sastry, Highway Restaurant & Bar
Serves 1-2 folks
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
For pie dough:
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg white
- 5 tablespoons of chicken fats
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 entire chicken, roasted and torn into chunks
- 1 ¼ cups of bleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 pints of robust chicken inventory or plain chicken inventory
- 4 carrots
- 5 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- Bunch of flat parsley picked
- Salt and white pepper, to style
- Prep the pie dough: Place, flour salt, sugar, and vegetable shortening in a stand mixer and mix for a couple of minutes. Then add chopped chilled butter and ice-cold water. Mix till it kinds a dough. Leave to relax for 4 hours within the fridge.
- Chop up the greens and parsley roughly and place in chicken inventory. Cook a couple of minutes till tender. Strain the greens, retaining the inventory.
- Place chicken fats and margarine in a pan and activate the warmth. Add the flour till the combination begins to kind crumbs. Very slowly, add the nice and cozy inventory, a bit at a time, till it turns into a thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a big bowl, place chicken items and greens. Season with salt and pepper. Then, add the nice and cozy sauce till the whole lot binds collectively. Set apart to chill.
- On a floured desk, roll the dough right into a circle (relying on the scale of pie dish you could have) about ¼-inch thick. Place in pie dish. Then add the filling. Roll out the highest crust in the identical method as the underside.
- Cut and trim sides of extra crust. Brush the highest with egg white and place in fridge for an hour.
- Bake at 380 °F diploma for 40 minutes after which flip all the way down to 350 °F for an additional 20 minutes.
- When the crust is golden brown, take out and go away to chill. Serve when prepared.
Credits : foxnews